Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Altec substitute and 511B

  1. #1
    Inactive Member gournard's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2007
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have, after lots of haggling, got hold of a pair of 511B's plus 902-8A's and need a bass cab. I'm considering the A7 but what is holding me up is the fact that used Altec bass drivers are scarce to non-existant in my country. So I need a substitute. Paudio, 18Sound, Beyma, B&C, Eminence and JBL is available locally but the JBL's are cazy expensive and can't afford them. I may be able to buy a pair of Altec 421-8LF's. Haven't seen them, will have to travel a long way to collect and one of them will need to be reconed. Apparently these are musical instrument speakers so would they work in A7. I will bi-amp but am not sure at what frequency to crossover. This is for a domestic setup and occasional party with low power amps. The active crossover can have center frequency at 400,500,650,800 and 1000. Will I need a tweeter and if so suggestions. Thank you gentlemen, I need your experienced help.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Tom Brennan's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    213
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've heard some B&C woofers that sounded very nice with the same kind of gorgeous upper-bass and midrange that Altecs have. Sorry, no model number but they had neo magnets. The guy used them in big vented boxes.

    Anyway I'd take those B&Cs over most of the woofers I've heard including any Eminences and JBLs.

    My opinion.

    All the crossover points you mention have sounded good to me. 500hz works very well and might be the best to give flexibility with the widest selection of woofers.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Tenorman's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2006
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Eminence Delta 15 in a 7.4 cubic foot ported cabinet tuned to 27 hz. Port 4" dia x 3.5" long.

    or

    Parts Express 295-080 Dayton cast 15" in 5.5 cubic foot ported cabinet tuned to 38 hz. 2 ports 4" dia x 5.25" long.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec substitute and 511B


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Parts Express is a local company for me. the Dayton, incidentally, is an Eminence.

    If you buy 100 Eminence will put your name on them and the price goes way down. The warranty also gets shorter.

    If I were looking at Eminence I'd look at the Kappalite 3015. One of their newest designs, it's a very nice speaker. If you Google you can find them for around $119 In the US.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member scott fitlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 29th, 2003
    Posts
    495
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Im going with Tom Brennan, I have and use some B & C 15NDL76,s, light weight cone, neodymium magnet, high efficiency, smooth and full midbass, and low mid, good bass, handles up to 500 watts very nicely, however, 225 to 300 watts per driver will get you where you want to go, too.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member scott fitlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 29th, 2003
    Posts
    495
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Oh, and did I mention they weigh in at OBNLY 10LBS a woofer?

    Avaialble from Parts Express for under $200.00 a piece, and they blow Eminence out the door. I know, I tried some Eminence, and wasnt satisfied.

    B & C 15NDL76.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member gournard's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2007
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the response guys. Any recommendation for the best crossover frequency to the 511B. Hi scotty j I think I read somewhere that you use a lot of Altec 421. Is it worth me persuing the 421-8LF's I mentioned. I am awaiting a quote on the BC15NDL76
    regards

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec substitute and 511B


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    forums I just had to laugh Scotty- your description also fits the Eminence I mentioned.

    B&C makes excellent speakers.

    If price is not a problem, the Beyma 15LX60 is a monster. But it's around $280.
    But what a woofer. Beats a lot of 18's in the low end.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec substitute and 511B


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    forums I should note I was referencing the LF model
    It's a Neo driver also.


    http://www.eminence.com/proaudio_spe...5&SUB_CAT_ID=3

  10. #10
    Inactive Member scott fitlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 29th, 2003
    Posts
    495
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I know the Eminence your speaking of, BUT, I found the B & C more to my taste, and I definitely think its more suitable to horn loading than the Eminence. Tighter, pun*****, and VERY throaty, well defined basslines.

    Of course, its all in the users preferences, whats sounds best is up to the individual.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.